The Partner Report is a multi-part reportage to introduce our network members. Each newsletter will showcase some of our partners, and highlight some of their most recent activities. This edition will feature the Supercomputing Centre of Galicia.
The Supercomputing Centre of Galicia (CESGA Foundation) is the centre for computing, high performance communications systems, and advanced services of the Galician Scientific Community, the University academic system, and the National Scientific Research Council (CSIC).
CESGA Foundation is a non-profit institution whose trustees pertain to the Regional Government of Galicia and to CSIC. CESGA has been one of the main HPC infrastructures in Spain for the last quarter century.
Foundation CESGA has the mission to contribute to the advancement of Science and Technical Knowledge by means of research and application of high performance computing and communications, as well as other information technologies resources, in collaboration with other institutions, for the profit of society.
In general, the purposes of the Foundation are all those that promote the research in and use of high performance computing, advanced communications and development of information and communications technologies as an instrument for sustainable socioeconomic development, devoting special attention to the cooperation between research centres, whether public or private, and the productive sector.
On top of acting as an advanced services centre for RTD institutions, CESGA has participated in numerous European Research Framework Programme Projects. For the past 15 years CESGA has carried out extensive work to help SMEs benefit from the exploitation of advanced computing technologies.
Thus, CESGA has displayed extensive activity both with research groups and enterprises in the following areas:
– Promoting and participating in research and technological development projects.
– Providing computing capacity, communications and technical support to its users by means of the equipment available at the Foundation.
– Collaborating in the transfer of research results in the area of computing between public research centres and private companies.
– Boosting and promoting cooperation between institutions at the national and international level.
– Contribute to the development and strengthening of the competitive capacity of the Galician and CSIC research communities.
– Collaborating with institutions, companies and people in any matter related to the object of the Foundation, in the terms established in the corresponding contracts or cooperation agreements.
– Promoting and collaborating in the organisation of courses, seminars and meetings related to innovation by means of computing and communications.
– Promoting and disseminating those activities and results considered of interest for the Foundation.
– Collaborating with other supercomputing centres for an effective use of the technologies.
– Searching for and obtaining resources for the development of its activities.
– Tend to the technological needs of the entities and companies that so require it in the area of the supercomputing.
CESGA is part of the Spanish Supercomputing Network and as such it is recognized by the Spanish Ministry for the Economy and Competitiveness as a Singular Scientific Technological Installation (ICTS).